Re: [Evolution-hackers] Developing a new protected message complement

On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 11:02 -0430, BECERRA Silvana M SIDOR wrote:
Actually, we're analyzing the possibility of going to a more updated
version of EVO (we have it on canaima 4.0 based on debian 7.0 and
Gnome 3.4.2), but we've had trouble compiling a newer version..... Do
you know where we can get a compiled version that works?

I've never heard of Canaima, but if it's a Debian derivative then
Debian's "testing" or "experimental" repos would be your best bet for
newer Evolution packages.

However, to try to clarify a bit, what we mean by "protected Email" is
that when reply/forward (inline mode) a "protected message" we're
allow to write our response but we should not be able to modify the
text of none of the old messages. Additionally, although not commented
before, the message should also include custom field in the header
that consolidates date, from, to, of all old messages in an orderly
manner.

For that kind of "protection" to have any real meaning, all messages
should be cryptographically signed by their author and attached in full
to all replies and forwards.  An Evolution extension could conceivably
enforce that.

The "inline" editing mode simply copies and pastes the source message
body into what's essentially a free-form text editor.  Trying to protect
the pasted text in a free-form editor widget is pointless because it can
be easily spoofed, as can any kind of custom message header.

Cryptographically signing each message with a public key or a trusted
certificate is really the only way to ensure previous messages are not
altered.

Matthew Barnes