Re: [Evolution-hackers] Reconsidering our release cycle

Hi.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 07:21:46AM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 10:58 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
And if a distribution ships a few weeks before a release, that now
means they can be shipping a version of Evolution which is a *year*
old, instead of only six months old.

I agree with David.  My main frustration with Evo right now is that I'm
always a release behind because my distribution appears to be
chronically one Gnome release back (I understand this is due to my
distribution and not the responsibility of the developers), for whatever
reason.  That means I was stuck on 3.4 until May (which was bad as there
were numerous problems with 3.4), and will be using 3.6 for most of the
rest of the year.

Hm. I'm wondering whether this is a problem for the rest of GNOME, too. Do the
arguments brought up in this thread apply to Evolution (and friends) only?
If no: Would the rest of GNOME also benefit from a different release schedule?
If yes: Why would that be? The arguments on favour of a longer cycle seem to be
very generic to me.

Cheers,
  Tobi