Re: [Evolution-hackers] Might be a generic ESourceExtension useful?

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 08:51 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> After a little discussion with tristan on IRC, not a generic
> ESourceExtension, but an API added directly to ESource, similar to
> "property" API on the old source.

Those arbitrary string properties from the old ESource API are precisely
what I wanted to AVOID by introducing ESourceExtensions.

The point of ESourceExtensions was to:

- Break settings into logical groups.

- Document what each setting is for, its data type and default value.

- Keep common settings consistent in name/type/default across backends.

The code duplication in Evolution was meant to be temporary.  The long
term solution, which I simply haven't had time for yet, is to move all
that backend-specific configuration widgetry into E-D-S.

But I can make that a priority for 3.10 if we're already talking about
regressing back to arbitrary string tables.

Matthew Barnes