Re: [Evolution-hackers] Update on the composer port

On Sunday 02 of September 2012 15:09:32 you wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 00:16 +0200, Dan Vratil wrote:
> > Behavior of the editor is almost identical to GtkhtmlEditor, except for
> > HTML mode -> Plain text switching. GtkhtmlEditor is simply switching
> > renderers on top of a single DOM document, but we can't do this with
> > WebKit. I looked how others do it and ended up with a "Switching to plain
> > text will lose all formatting, OK?" dialog.
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but how will plain text mode work in the
> future? Will it still be possible to define item lists, indent blocks,
> etc.?

I must admit I forgot to test block styles in plain text mode. and as I can
see now It does not work very well. That can most probably be fixed though, so
lists, block indents etc will be possible in plain text mode as they are now
with GtkhtmlEditor.

The only difference is that you won't be able to compose a mail in HTML mode
and then just switch to plain text whilst keeping all the formatting. You'd
have to re-apply all the formatting again.

(Theoretically, a filter could be written to convert HTML to plain text using
the "email markup" - *for bold*, /for italics/, _for underline_, tab+* for
list items etc....but it would still drop things like images (or it could
convert them to ASCIIart :-D )

Dan

--
dvratil redhat com | Associate Software Engineer / BaseOS / KDE, Qt
GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348