[Evolution-hackers] Regarding API breakage and lost test cases

Hi,
   It's recently come to my attention that a vast API break[0] has
been introduced in the last (3.6) cycle of EDS.

Unfortunately this also breaks the vast majority of the test cases
in EDS proper as well as the benchmarking tests[1] we've been using
to track EDS performance over releases.

After looking through about 1 year's worth of archives, I was
only able to find a single thread[2] remotely related to this
subject so, I'd like to at least raise the question, What is the
rationale behind this API breakage in the 3.6 release ?

And more practically speaking, is there any clear migration path
towards the new APIs using the ESourceRegistry ?

I'd like to lend a hand in reviving the buried test cases, currently
the trial-and-error approach is rather costly so any advice on the
topic would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
     -Tristan

[0] http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/commit/?id=db4474f5463ac3f1af12e182b20987e65a9b60c5