Re: [Evolution-hackers] Is it worth customizing the IMAP headers to fetch?

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 19:00 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> The interesting use case, perhaps, is the first run of Evolution on a
> new mail store. That's when the full vs. targeted header fetch is going
> to be most noticeable.

Right, and since we don't even present these IMAP header options in the
account setup wizard, the user doesn't even have a chance to monkey with
them until the initial fetch begins.  You have to wander back into the
account settings to see that page, and by then your headers are probably
all fetched.

> But even if we conclude that the more specific fetch is worthwhile, I'm
> still not convinced that a separate UI for *choosing* those headers is
> at all sane. If the user sets up filters which *look* at a given header,
> then we damn well ought to fetch that header automatically. The user
> shouldn't be forced to go and find a separate plugin to make their
> filter actually work. Or do I misunderstand how this works?

No you're right, I think that's the sole purpose of the "Custom Headers"
section.

What I'm taking away is there may be value in fetching specific headers,
but not in it's present form.  So I'm inclined to drop the plugin, but
leave open the possibility of doing this kind of thing more "smartly"
behind the scenes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Matthew Barnes