Re: [Evolution-hackers] moving messages is visually slow

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 11:10 -0300, David Roguin wrote:
> I've noticed that moving messages takes considerably more time than
> deleting them. Visually when I delete a message I see the item
> disappear almost instantly, I'd like to achieve the same thing when I
> move a message.
>
> Is there any way to achieve this? Maybe hiding the selected items and
> then move them? I couldn't find anything related to hiding messages
> (except a boolean for hiding the deleted ones)

"Deleting" a message really just tags the message to be deleted when the
mail folder is expunged at some later date.  It's a fast local operation
which you don't even have to be online for, since tags are synchronized
with remote mail servers in batches.

You can do "View -> Show Deleted Messages" and see the messages tagged
for later deletion.  Your Trash folder, by the way, is just a live query
for these tagged messages across your entire account.

"Moving" a message involves appending a copy to the destination folder
and then marking the original for later deletion.  This naturally takes
much longer, and we don't want to mark the original message for deletion
until we're sure the copy was successfully appended to the destination.
Otherwise we risk data loss if the append fails for some reason.

I suppose we could play more tricks with the message list to give the
appearance that messages are removed instantly, but the message list is
already rife with such tricks, and each new one makes it harder to keep
the logic clear and thus harder to maintain.  I'm happy to review a
patch, though, if you still want to attempt it.

Matthew Barnes