Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM server synchronization and Evolution online/offline state

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 12:05 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 17:29 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > Seems to me that opening a connection in order to find out whether I could
> > open a connection is more than evo-kolab would need. Unless the "service-available"
> > check would be really cheap, it seems to me that "host-reachable" would
> > suffice. Once I actually try to connect and fail, I know that I cannot
> > connect. Nothing lost. ;-) (What's more, if "service-available" was TRUE half
> > an hour ago, when the check was made, that does not automatically mean that
> > it is still TRUE when I want to actually *use* the connection half an hour
> > later - so, not sure whether a "service-available" check would help much).
>
> Perhaps then simply rename the "online" property to "host-reachable" to
> clarify it's meaning as a first step?  "Online" seems like too nebulous
> a term in this context anyway.

Note that in the case of something like a company EWS connection, when
the user does something in Evolution that triggers that account to go
online, you'd actually want it to trigger a VPN connection so that it
*can* reach the host in question...

--
dwmw2