Re: [Evolution-hackers] Front-end header files for E-D-S libraries

On Mi, 2011-03-23 at 09:05 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 13:42 +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > How much of a problem is that in practice?
>
> It's getting to be a problem.  Seemingly innocent changes to header
> files break builds in unexpected ways.  Here's a common scenario:

[...]

Okay, I see your point. But if the split into individual files is merely
to group code and not done to speed up compilation, wouldn't the
following also work:
     1. move current files into an internal sub-directory
     2. introduce the new "include all" header
     3. make all the traditional names symlinks to that one header

That introduces the desired advantage (rearrange header content) without
breaking the API.

> > Is there a chance to add the headers to 3.0 before it gets released?
>
> It's too late for 3.0.0.  I can add it for 3.0.1 sans the preprocessor
> warnings if that would help.

3.0.1 is too late to help much, unless 3.0.0 can be expected to not be
used by anyone...

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly