Re: [Evolution-hackers] New 'eclient' branch in eds

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 11:56 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Are you saying that a soname version bump can and should be done in a
> backwards-incompatible way (= code compiled against older version no
> longer works with new lib)? That's a major pain for people trying to
> support multiple distros. Please avoid it whenever possible.

As I understand it, an soname bump (from libfoo.so.5 to libfoo.so.6)
should *only* be used for backwards-incompatible changes.

If old clients can continue to use the newer library, then shouldn't it
be just a change of *minor* version from libfoo.so.5.2 to libfoo.so.5.3,
and the soname remains the same (libfoo.so.5).

--
dwmw2