Re: [Evolution-hackers] New 'eclient' branch in eds

On Di, 2011-04-19 at 16:03 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 09:27 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> > There's a couple other simple things I forgot to mention yesterday.
> >
> > * We should add some padding to all the public class structs so we can
> >   add new class methods in the future without breaking ABI.  Something
> >   like this:
> >
> >         struct _ECalClientClass {
> >
> >             ... methods and stuff ...
> >
> >                 gpointer reserved[16];
> >         };
>
> I never understood a need for this, neither used it when changing
> structs. There was done a soname version bump when changing public
> "class" structures, which, from my point of view, always involves also
> API changes, and freezes on these both are tight together.

Are you saying that a soname version bump can and should be done in a
backwards-incompatible way (= code compiled against older version no
longer works with new lib)? That's a major pain for people trying to
support multiple distros. Please avoid it whenever possible.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly