Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution-kolab: local cache for offline-work

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 15:50 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in evolution-kolab, we need to provide full offline capabilities for working
> with Kolab 2 groupware data in offline mode.
>
> Evo 2.30 has an offline mode which works for IMAP email. If I understood
> correctly, email handling resides within Evolution presently [1], not E-D-S.
> For our plugin, though, we need to place email stuff in the backend (for
> handling contact data and calendar data, as these are stored in XML
> attachments to emails within Kolab 2 context).
>
> This means we will need to sync emails (with proper conflict resolution) when
> re-connecting to the Kolab server which hold calendar data and contact data.
> What's more, we have a multimaster-situation here.
>
> As Matthew already pointed out in [2], this is sort of new terrain we're
> stepping on. In order to get an idea about how much work it will be to
> implement this feature, I'd like to know whether there are ideas already
> concerning caching calendar data and address data this way. Alas, I have not
> found time yet to dig into existing backends to check whether they do caching
> already or whether there is any infrastructure provided with Evo/EDS 2.30
> which we could use for that matter.
>
> We'll be happy to receive any pointers into existing plugins where something
> like this is already done or to discussions about the issue.
Let me try to summarize some pointers for calendar and you could do the
same for address-book as well,
+ Create New ECalBackend for Kolab
+ Use the camel apis to fetch the calendar folder
+ Using the CamelFolder, get its contents. You would mime data and you
can use the Camel libraries again to parse these contents.
+ Convert the Xml calendar data into Ics format and store it into the
backend

So this helps for displaying the contents. Now with creating
meetings/appointments. iirc you would need to send them via smtp ?
+ use the camel_transport apis (look through e_cal_backend_save/send
api's)

There are many backend implementations already available file, exchange,
groupwise etc. and you can refer them.. I would recommend looking
through groupwise/exchange and shoot your questions if any..

Since no one has yet tried using camel apis, we do not know if there are
any issues while you might face. But we should be able to help you while
you progress..

The same holds good for address-book also.

Thanks, Chenthill.