[Evolution-hackers] evolution-kolab: local cache for offline-work

Hi all,

in evolution-kolab, we need to provide full offline capabilities for working
with Kolab 2 groupware data in offline mode.

Evo 2.30 has an offline mode which works for IMAP email. If I understood
correctly, email handling resides within Evolution presently [1], not E-D-S.
For our plugin, though, we need to place email stuff in the backend (for
handling contact data and calendar data, as these are stored in XML
attachments to emails within Kolab 2 context).

This means we will need to sync emails (with proper conflict resolution) when
re-connecting to the Kolab server which hold calendar data and contact data.
What's more, we have a multimaster-situation here.

As Matthew already pointed out in [2], this is sort of new terrain we're
stepping on. In order to get an idea about how much work it will be to
implement this feature, I'd like to know whether there are ideas already
concerning caching calendar data and address data this way. Alas, I have not
found time yet to dig into existing backends to check whether they do caching
already or whether there is any infrastructure provided with Evo/EDS 2.30
which we could use for that matter.

We'll be happy to receive any pointers into existing plugins where something
like this is already done or to discussions about the issue.

Thanks in advance,

	Christian

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2010-June/msg00018.html
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2010-June/msg00022.html

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen
http://www.kernelconcepts.de/