Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:08 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> I've never needed to do this before when going to a newer version of
> Evo; is this supposed to happen automatically some how when a newer
> version starts up?

Evolution is now extracting information from those schemas as part of a
new centralized settings management subsystem, so the schemas have to be
there whereas before they didn't (and in fact we were missing quite a
few in older versions).

The Makefiles are set up automatically install schema files, but only if
you are -NOT- using a custom install prefix, which I assume you are (I
am too).  I'm not sure I fully understand the rationale for that, but I
looked at some other GNOME modules that I consider to be well maintained
and they're using similar logic.  I assume the intent is to help avoid
screwing up your GConf settings.

> Should I run --install-schema-file for all the *.schema files in that
> directory, just in case, or might that break things?

I think just as needed is fine.  I've been careful to only add new
schemas and not change or remove existing ones.

I suspect there's a better way to manage this, but it hasn't occurred to
me yet.

Matthew Barnes