Re: [Evolution-hackers] Error Reporting in libebook

Am Montag, den 19.01.2009, 11:10 +0000 schrieb Ross Burton:
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 10:00 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> > Ross, didn't we break once before by stripping off some exposed bonobo
> > stuff on the APIs ? So, is this new on the branch?
>
> The removal of exposed Bonobo interfaces was strictly speaking an API
> break but didn't effect anyone because the functions which were removed
> from the public API were impossible to call from outside
> libebook/libecal.
>
> Adding GErrors to the client library would be a serious break for
> clients, and something I'd personally defer until a full redesign of the
> client APIs (something else I've been thinking about).

Some parts of the client API really need to be fixed. For instance
currently EContact cannot work reliably as EVCardAttribute is mutable.
Therefore you can change some contact attributes without EContact
noticing it. World would be much better if EVCardAttribute would be
immutable and if EVCard would have some virtual functions to inform
subclasses like EContact about added/removed attributes.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Personal Blog: http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/