Re: [Evolution-hackers] Funambol sync from evolution

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 00:00 +0100, Stefano Canepa wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 23:20 +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > It wouldn't be hard to create and install a libsyncevolution.so which
> > contains all the necessary logic to execute a sync. That might be
> > easier
> > than wrapping a command line tool. On the other hand, Genesis already
> > does that quite successfully.
>
> OK, Patric. I'll checkout syncevolution code ASAP (tomorrow or on
> saturday) and starting finding how I to build such a library, this
> should be usefull for other projects, too.

I should clarify: compiling and installing libsyncevolution.so already
works, just use --enable-shared. However, there are some issues with it:
      * It's an internal helper library installed as
        lib/syncevolution/libsyncevolution.so.0.0.0, making linking
        against it harder.
      * It is unversioned (ABI can change without updating the so
        number). Other packages are not supposed to link against it
        right now.
      * Making the plugin a part of SyncEvolution would avoid these
        issues, but that leads to another problem for distributing it:
        currently the precompiled packages are constructed so that they
        don't depend on a specific Evolution version (search for
        multiple revisions of libecal/libebook, call functions via
        dlsym). This might not be feasible with a plugin, so that I'd
        have to go back to compiling different packages for different
        Evolution releases - or depend on distributions to do that work.

But that is something that we can worry about later - let's get
something working first, shall we? ;-)

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly