Re: [Evolution-hackers] Moving from the single mbox file format for the local folders

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 18:55 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> Maildir is good, none denies it. But maildir is already there, but not
> sure how many use it.

I do, and I know several other people who do. The question how to enable
maildir for an account is a question that comes up often on the users
mailing list, so the demand exists. If not that many people actually is
it, that's probably because switching to it requires quite a bit of
fiddling.

> I remember multiple problems, some subdirs,
> windows support etc. Milan did an analysis, some time back, dont
> remember that very well tbh.

Deciding to move away from mbox as the default format would be the
perfect opportunity to address these problems and make more users happy:
those who already use maildir and those who can start to use it and then
benefit from its advantages.

> Cool. Its about when you write and how you schedule it. In current
> mbox design, expunge, rewrites the flags back to mails from summary.
> Its not about keeping it permanent in the summary.

With maildir, applying flag changes would be so cheap that they wouldn't
have to go through the summary.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly