Re: [Evolution-hackers] [Fwd: Evolution: Taking forward...]

Hi,

Michael notified me that I actually had code in Evolution (since portions of GAL was now in the Evo code base). That's code I wrote in my spare time though I attached the companies name in the copyright out of habit.

I'm fine with relicensing that code and assign the copyright over.

Cheers,
  Mikael Hallendal

Hello guys,

We have had a set of problems that we are carrying around for some time like :

* Copyright assignments, which is not the best way looking for the future of Evolution. It sucks and sort of limits contributions to Evolution and we wanted to drop it. * The current licensing incompatibility issues of Evolution with Samba4/libmapi (GPLv3). Evolution needs to link with libmapi/ samba4 for the new mapi based connector being developed for Exchange 2007.

So here is the plan :

* Drop Evolution copyright assignments and make it really easy to contribute to Evolution * Move Evolution licensing to "LGPL v2 and LGPL v3" to let us re-use the code more easily around the platform. This also moves us closer to Thunderbird's MPL/LGPL model.

We think this is good for Evolution and (of course) we continue to invest in Evolution. We are also working to ensure we have the rights to re-license all of the code. We will do the licensing/ header changes as we audit the code ownership situation.

It would be really helpful if you can post a public/explicit mail with permissions to do it, or code pointers - if you think you wrote a piece of Evolution code & object.

We are really excited about this and we feel this would really help Evolution a lot. We need your support now for making this change and to take Evolution to great heights.

Thanks for your contributions and support.

--
Mikael Hallendal
Imendio AB - Expert solutions in GTK+