Re: [Evolution-hackers] Removing libical fork, moving to new upstream?

Patrick Ohly wrote:
Just to be clear, my proposal was to have them as normal functions under
the old names (for backwards compatibility). They could be hidden by
defines, but I don't like that because then someone reading code which
calls libical cannot tell whether the code handles the memory correctly
unless he also checks how it is compiled.

Cut-and-paste could lead to memory handling errors.
I think Patrick's proposed plan (all five steps) makes a lot of sense. That's the one we're going to go with. It maintains compatibility with both Evolution and other applications while allowing everyone to migrate to the new API at whatever pace makes sense for them.

We will increment the library version, of course. Expect it to be at least 0.33, but this is a significant enough change that we might even go to 0.40.

-- Art