Re: [Evolution-hackers] Removing libical fork, moving to new upstream?

Hello!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeassociation/ has released 0.32 of
libical on 2008-09-01. The KDE-PIM team has switched to that code for
KDE 4.2.

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 21:49 +0000, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 15:03 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> > I discovered last week that there is an attempt to resurrect libical
> > from non-maintainership, merge all of the patches from various forks,
> > and start making sane releases again[1].  Are the evolution team as
> > whole interested in merging their changes to libical upstream and
> > depending on it to be installed when a release is made with all of the
> > relevant changes?  libical isn't exactly a small library, and statically
> > linking it is a waste of memory for everyone.
>
> I vaguely recall the biggest diff being timezone handling.

Not sure about that. They have merged the "system timezone database
conversion" code, if that's what you mean. Unfortunately they missed the
recent bug fixes required for that code to handle the upcoming
summer->winter time transition. We really should have been more active
with keeping them informed about Evolution-libical changes. I have
alerted them and the KDE-PIM team of the problem.

However, they haven't included the modified memory handling. Considering
that this breaks the user space API merging it might be a hard sell.

> > I'll happily start working on extracting the changes to EDS and pushing
> > them into the new libical repository, if the Evolution team as a whole
> > agrees that the fork of libical will be dropped.

+1

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly