Re: [Evolution-hackers] GObject-based Camel

Hey Matt,
On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 12:52 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> Over the weekend I hit a milestone with a science experiment I started
> earlier in the year to turn Camel into a GObject-based library with
> minimal API breakage.  The short-term goal of this effort is to make it
> easier to generate language and D-Bus bindings for Camel.

This is awesome news :-).

> I now have running code which I've posted to a new evolution-data-server
> branch called "camel-gobject" [1].  The branch contains a couple very
> small patches (evolution.patch and evolution-exchange.patch) that must
> be applied before building Evolution against the GObject-based Camel
> library.
>
> Evolution seems to be working just fine with my standard setup, but I
> haven't tested all the built-in Camel providers and various third-party
> extensions.  If others want to chip in with the testing I'd be grateful.
>

> Techie Details
> --------------
>
> My approach was basically to pull off the same stunt that was done to
> GtkObject when GObject was introduced: turn the base CamelObject class
> into a GObject subclass, and convert the CamelObject API into a set of
> thin wrappers for equivalent operations in GObject.  For example:
>
>     camel_object_ref()      now calls   g_object_ref()
>
>     camel_object_unref()    now calls   g_object_unref()
>
>     camel_type_register()   now calls   g_type_register_static()
>
>     ...etc...
>
> Obviously this breaks Camel's ABI.  There's no way around that.

I think, you are correct. This needs to happen at some time.

> The (intentional) API breakage is very minimal:
>
>     CamelType is now an alias for GType.  It is no longer a pointer
>     to the class structure.  That was supposed to be an implementation
>     detail anyway, but Camel (and Evo, and Evo-Exchange) exploits that
>     in a number of places.  The class structure can be properly accessed
>     using camel_type_get_global_classfuncs(), which is now an alias for
>     g_type_class_peek().
>
>     The corollary to that is when to fetch the parent class structure.
>     Most classes define a static "parent_class" pointer for chaining up
>     in class methods.  The "parent_class" pointer should be set in the
>     class initialization function, NOT before the type registration in
>     get_type().  Just like you would in normal GObject code.  There
>     were LOTS of places in Camel were that needed fixing.
>
>     Camel interfaces are dead, but they were never really used anyway.
>
> The other half of the problem was CamelObjectBag.  It formerly shared a
> mutex with CamelObject's reference counting, I think because CamelObject
> ref's and unref's were non-atomic.  GObject's reference counting is
> atomic, so with that issue out of the way I gave each CamelObjectBag its
> own mutex, cleaned up the code a bit, and split it off into a separate
> source file (camel-object-bag.c).  After an evening's worth of debugging
> it seems to be working fine now.
>

> Now What?
> ---------
>
> So with the "interesting" part now done, next comes the long and tedious
> part: rewriting all the internal CamelObject boilerplate into GObject
> boilerplate and making sure we're not using any newly deprecated API.
> But that can be done gradually and with help from others.
>
> In time I'd also like to explore taking greater advantage of GObject
> signals and properties in Camel, and also deprecating CamelArgV and
> CamelArgGetV.

Also the Camel Events to GObject signals right, or you meant the same?

> I haven't discussed this with the other Evolution/Camel developers yet,
> so there are currently no plans to include it in 2.26.  That may change,
> but for now it remains purely experimental.

2.26 might be a very tough one, with Kill-Bonobo also in, we may have
too many things to shape up.