Re: [Evolution-hackers] default bug handling policy

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 17:09 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> Distro maintainers can
> always cherry-pick from trunk if they want, though I personally have
> stopped doing that.

I would expect the upstream developers to do that instead of multiplying
the work by expecting all downstream packagers to do it independently.
But of course it is not my time I am talking about here ;-}

> It's kind of an engineering judgment call whether to backport.  If the
> patch doesn't break any freezes in effect for the stable version and is
> considered not-too-risky or fixes a severe problem, then it will likely
> be applied to the stable branch.

Makes sense. It would help to comment in the bug report itself whether
back porting was considered. If back porting was considered and the
reasons against it are documented, then expect that no further time will
be wasted on reopening the issue.

> If a bug gets resolved as FIXED without the patch being backported and
> you think it should have been, feel free to re-open the bug and ask.
> Sometimes it's just an oversight.

I cannot re-open bugs. Taking the bug 523541 as example, it is set to
RESOLVED/FIXED although Chentill asked to have the patch applied to
gnome-2-22. I'm a bit afraid that this will be forgotten.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly