Re: [Evolution-hackers] default bug handling policy

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:25 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> are bugs discovered on the trunk also fixed on the latest maintenance
> branch by default or only if someone asks for it? Different projects
> handle this differently.

The source code in trunk is considered the master copy, so bugs are
always fixed there first and then backported to the latest stable branch
(currently gnome-2-22) if deemed appropriate.  Distro maintainers can
always cherry-pick from trunk if they want, though I personally have
stopped doing that.

It's kind of an engineering judgment call whether to backport.  If the
patch doesn't break any freezes in effect for the stable version and is
considered not-too-risky or fixes a severe problem, then it will likely
be applied to the stable branch.

If a bug gets resolved as FIXED without the patch being backported and
you think it should have been, feel free to re-open the bug and ask.
Sometimes it's just an oversight.

Matthew Barnes