Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution-data-server addressbook backend

Am Dienstag, den 18.03.2008, 10:46 +0000 schrieb Ross Burton:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:34 +0100, Matthias Braun wrote:
> > I just started developing a custom addressbook(1) backend and have a few
> > questions regarding the API. First I wonder about the functions
> > get_contact_list, get_contact and get_changes. They don't seem to be
> > used by evolution. Are there applications around that use them? Do bad
> > things happen if I don't implement them (set the callback to NULL)?
>
> Implement them.  Evolution doesn't use them as far as I know but
> get_contact_list and get_contact will be used by other applications.
> get_changes is used by syncing tools such as OpenSync.
too bad, this means code duplication in plugins... I had hoped that
evolution might emulate the calls with the start_book_view stuff if
get_contact_list isn't available. But seems I have to code it after all.

> > The other thing I can't get to work is authentication. If I abort an
> > action with GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_AuthenticationRequired then
> > evolution is simply displaying me an error message. I would have
> > expected that it asks me for username and password and calls the
> > authenticate_user callback. How can I get this working?
>
> To be honest I've only looked at the backends which don't require
> authentication.  I suggest you read the LDAP backend.
>
> At a guess, make you sure implement get_surpported_auth_methods.  Also
> you'll want to call e_book_backend_notify_connection_status.

I got the authentication part working now. The trick was as you said
using get_supported_auth_methods to return "plain/password" as
authentication method. You also have to make sure the addressbook source
has the "user" and "auth" properties set to the username/authentication
method.

Greetings,
	Matze