Re: [Evolution-hackers] Viewer for file-stored E-Mails

Pat Suwalski wrote:
Hi Michael,

Michael Städler wrote:
I usually store important E-Mails one-by-one in files, thus I can backup
these information easily. I am in the process of switching from
Windows/Outlook to Linux/Evolution. In Evolution the only "Save as"
format is "normal" Unix mbox. But in Linux I cannot view these files
just by selecting them in a file explorer. Am I missing something? I
just can't find a tool which just lets me view an mbox file. Of course I
can re-import the file in Evolution. But this isn't my intention. Any
help for me?

As you probably know, the mbox format is flat text. For casual reading and searching you can use pretty much any text editor. However, I know that's not what you're asking for.

I don't know of any desktop program that views mbox files, but mutt on the command line will do it with the "-f" switch.

--Pat