Re: [Evolution-hackers] [Evolution] Evolution does not support message's priority?

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 09:16 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 17:25 +0800, liushuai wrote:
> > I reviewed the code of evolution and also checked all columns in
> > evolution message list window. However, I could not find where to
> > display the priority of new email? I could not see whether the mail
> > was urgent or normal or non-urgent.
>
> Don't know what "non-urgent" is, but in every version of Evolution I've
> used there's a column right next to the "new/read/replied" icon column
> that marks urgent mail.  On my Ubuntu system it's an orange circle with
> a white exclamation mark in it; I think different distros use different
> icon sets.
>
> To mark a mail that you received as urgent, you click in that column
> next to the mail.
>
> To mark a mail you want to send as urgent, you select Insert ->
> Prioritize Message (this is, admittedly, pretty difficult to figure
> out).

Um, wrong answer.  He wanted to know if evolution supports message
priority, not "marking as important".  Message priority allows the
>>sender<< to assign a message priority from low = 5, to critical = 1 to
the message in the hopes that it helps the receiver determine what
emails to read first.  This uses the "non-standard" mail header
X-Priority.

A LONG time ago in evolution development, it was decided that message
priority would not be supported because it uses a non-standard header.
Search the archives (about 2-3 years ago).

Even though you can not do message priority on the sending side, there
still is a way to use filters to support it on the receiving side.  Just
filter on the X-Priority header field, and if its 1 or 2, make the
message red - and for 3 or 4 make the message blue.

Lonnie Borntreger