Re: [Evolution-hackers] EDS API calls hang when EDS dies - how to detect that?

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 22:13 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 22:21 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > I suppose I can call g_signal_connect(ebook, "backend-died", mycallback,
> > NULL), then in mycallback print an error and abort the process, right?
>
> > Aborting the process is a very drastic reaction, it would be much nicer
> > if e_book_get_contact() would return an error in that case. Can I
> > achieve that by doing something in my code with the existing libebook
> > shared objects shipped today?
>
> Every blocking function should detect the backend crashing and return an
> error message.  I'm not tremendously up to speed on the details of
> Bonobo, but this should be a fairly simple patch.

I agree that the blocking functions should detect the problem and
return, but currently they don't and even if this got fixed, I wouldn't
like to force people to upgrade Evolution for the fix. Any idea how I
can fix that in the code which calls the API?

> I'll point out that the DBus port should handle this already. :)

I know, I have seen the timeouts on the Maemo port - sometimes even too
early... ;-)

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly