Re: [Evolution-hackers] EDS API calls hang when EDS dies - how to detect that?

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 22:21 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Looking at the current libebook API documentation [1] I see a
> "backend-died" signal prototype. I don't remember having seen that
> before - was the signal or its documentation added recently?

The documentation was likely added recently, the signal has existed for
a long time.

> I suppose I can call g_signal_connect(ebook, "backend-died", mycallback,
> NULL), then in mycallback print an error and abort the process, right?
>
> Aborting the process is a very drastic reaction, it would be much nicer
> if e_book_get_contact() would return an error in that case. Can I
> achieve that by doing something in my code with the existing libebook
> shared objects shipped today?

Every blocking function should detect the backend crashing and return an
error message.  I'm not tremendously up to speed on the details of
Bonobo, but this should be a fairly simple patch.

I'll point out that the DBus port should handle this already. :)

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./