[Evolution-hackers] Ubuntu 7.10 upgrade leaves useless libedataserver around

Hello,

I think we have some Evolution packagers around here, so let me draw
your attention to a problem that a SyncEvolution user recently had (see
[1]).

He upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10/Evolution 2.12, but still had a SyncEvolution
binary around which depended on the older libedataserver1.2-7 from
Evolution 2.10 (or 2.8). That library was not removed during the upgrade
(not sure exactly why), which led to rather obscure error messages when
starting SyncEvolution:
        (process:7164): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'
        (process:7164): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
        (process:7164): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `ESourceGroup'
        (process:7164): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: e_source_group_peek_sources: assertion `E_IS_SOURCE_GROUP (group)' failed
        21:07:48 GMT -0700 [ERROR] - calendar: not found: Cumples'

IMHO it would be nice if the libedataserver1.2-9 packaged conflicted
with libedataserver1.2-7 so that users who upgrade are notified that
they need a SyncEvolution which is compatible with 2.12, either because
their package manager knows that SyncEvolution depends on
libedataserver1.2-7 or when SyncEvolution fails to start with a missing
library error message.

Note that I also ran into problems starting Evolution 2.6.3 after
running Evolution 2.12 in the same account; I had to reset my gconf data
to get 2.6.3 running again (more on that in another email) - I'm
mentioning it here because it seems related.

In case anyone is interested, because binary incompatibilities with
Evolution releases require different SyncEvolution binaries I have
gathered that information in [2].

[1] http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1818718&group_id=146288&atid=764733
[2] http://www.estamos.de/projects/SyncML/Compatibility.html#Evolution

--