[Evolution-hackers] comma-separation of event CATEGORIES

Hello,

I got a report that SyncEvolution does not handle CATEGORIES correctly
in ical 2.0 events when multiple categories are specified. It turned out
that Evolution or more likely, libical, import/export such events with
the comma separator escaped like this:
  CATEGORIES:Anniversary\,Holiday

RFC 2445 specifies CATEGORIES with a normal comma as separator and gives
this example:
  CATEGORIES:APPOINTMENT,EDUCATION

When importing such an event, Evolution stores it with two different
category properties and then only uses the later one in the GUI:
  CATEGORIES:APPOINTMENT
  CATEGORIES:EDUCATION

At first glance there doesn't seem to be an open bug related to this; it
still happens with Evolution 2.10. I will open a bug and investigate
further, but let me bring up some points here first:
      * I suppose right now Evolution continues to use its own libical.
        Are there plans to synchronize with upstream (whathever that is
        at the moment)?
      * Any bug fix for this should be backwards compatible and treat \,
        just like a normal comma because all existing .ics files will
        continue to contain \, and I would like to add a hack to
        SyncEvolution which converts between \, and , to work around the
        issue in existing Evolution versions.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly