Re: [Evolution-hackers] Introduction and Questions

2007/5/31, Ross Boylan <ross biostat ucsf edu>:
On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 23:20 +0200, Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> 2007/5/31, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 07:58 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > What version to start with?  I'm on Debian GNU/Linux, which currently has evo
> > > 2.6.  I notice that's a bit dated (although I did see that a few months ago
> > > some of the Debian packagers were interested in making a more recent
> > > version).  I've been working from the Debian version.  Does that version, the
> > > last stable release (from evo, not Debian), or svn head make the most sense
> > > to work from?  (BTW, the one bug I fixed was one that was already fixed
> > > post-2.6).
> >
> > FYI, Debian Unstable has Evolution 2.10.  Might be easier to grab at
> > least the 2.10 dependencies from there.  You'll need to upgrade gtkhtml
> > and likely also your GTK+ library stack to get 2.10 to build.
>
> In case you're on a Debian-based distribution
Yes; straight Debian.
> and not pulling from
> svn, I would recommend using pre-built packages, or even building the
> packages yourself. 2.10.2 is in the archive, and I will do 2.11.2 this
> weekend.
Terrific.  Is unstable the place to look, or experimental, or somewhere
else?

2.11.2 will end up in pkg-evolution's svn for sure. If we upload
binary packages, they will go to experimental.

> For my own development setup I use the 2.10.x packages plus custom
> build from svn for the module I'm hacking on. e-d-s for example, I
> install to /opt/evolution-data-server. Then I can start development
> e-d-s with 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/evolution-data-server/lib
> /opt/evolution-data-server/libexec/evolution-data-server-1.12' and can
> also start the stable e-d-s with
> '/usr/lib/evolution/evolution-data-server-1.10'
That's a great tip.  I built evo from Debian source (with one fix) and
it took 45 minutes.  I clearly need a shorter route to trying out
changes.

I don't think you get around the initial build; you can feature strip
it to reduce the time. Once you've built it. make will figure out what
has to be rebuilt. A make && make install when I edit files in only
one directory takes about 5 seconds on my system..

Thanks for packing evo, and for making the -dbg files available.

You're welcome. Don't hesitate with questions on how you can use
packages or package scripts in your development setup..

Cheers,
Øystein