Re: [Evolution-hackers] Backport of fix to "Too Many Open Files" problem

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 23:03 +0100, Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> Thanks. I did not mean 2.6.3, but 2.8.2.1. I'll test with those two
> patches against our reported incidents. Do you have any idea if this
> can happen in 2.6? If so, why has noone reported it yet?
>
> A pity with the ABI break. Makes things a lot more complicated to push.

As I recall, the "Too Many Open Files" problem was introduced while
trying to fix a race condition in that same code.  This was done during
the 2.7 development cycle, I believe.  The race condition likely exists
in 2.6.  The author was trying to find a solution that would not break
the ABI.

The patches I recommended to you fix the original race condition without
re-introducing the "Too Many Open Files" problem (and hopefully without
any other side-effects).  Breaking the ABI was necessary, I'm afraid.
That's why we waited until 2.9 to commit it.

Matthew Barnes