Re: [Evolution-hackers] Patching Evolution to retrieve a list of emails and calendar events through DBUS

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:12 +0100, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 18:28 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> > Hey Jo,
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 13:41 +0100, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was wondering how hard it would be to patch Evolution (or write a
> > > plugin) to be able to retrieve a list of emails and calendar events
> > > through DBUS?
> > Shouldn't be that hard :). I think calendar has to be interfaced via EDS
> > than Evolution. This way even contacts can also take the advantage.
>
> I am looking into something that won't take me a week or so to
> implement :-)
>
> > > Is is possible to give me a few pointers on how I could do this? I have
> > > no experience with Evolution whatsoever.
> >
> > What sort of pointers you need. Evolution has quite a few hooks where
> > you can plug code. We can add more hooks if required. But do you have a
> > plan of what you are trying to achieve through DBUS interface.
>
> What we want to do is create an application that enables you to link
> your emails, contacts, calendar items and the like. For now, we could
> use DBUS to interface with Gaim and Tomboy, but Evolution is a bit more
> troublesome.
>
> In fact we would like to get a list of emails that have the label
> "Todo", and a set of calendar events for a certain date.
Wow. Sounds interesting :)

> > I think
> > once you can close on that, we can easily expose hooks for the
> > evolution-dbus-plugin. For some hints to start with, you can looks at
> > the new-mail-notification plugin in Evolution which uses DBUS.
>
> I had a look at that indeed, but I'm not sure how these plugins can be
> loaded dynamically. Is it possible for me to develop a plugin, load it
> into Evolution and try it out? This would enable rapid prototyping which
> would speed up development ;-)
You can google at tnef plugin which Notzed wrote long back. It was
written/compiled separately and loaded dynamically into Evolution. So it
is possible to load dynamically.

> > > In my opinion, exposing a lot of Evolution's functionality through DBUS
> > > would allow for better integration in the desktop.
> >
> > Sure. This sounds exciting to me.
>
> Indeed it is. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spare,
> although I can spend a few days working on this.
I doubt. It may take more than few days. I expect atleast 1-2 weeks.
But you can scope out to just Email and Calendar and get a volunteer for
the rest of the components.

Anyways. All the very best !!!

-Srini.