Re: [Evolution-hackers] Post-release version incrementing

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 03:29 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> May I suggest a third, in my opinion superior, way: Both.
>
> That's what cairo uses, see
> http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-Version-Information.html . The
> micro version number is even in released tarballs, and odd
> inbetween. The even number never exists in SVN. The micro number is
> bumped by the person doing a release, and then bumped again and
> committed after the tarball has been built. Thus there cannot be any
> confusion between official released versions and builds from SVN at
> least as far as version numbers are concerned.

While that sounds like a sensible policy, Evolution follows GNOME's
release schedule and version numbering [1]. So that would have to be
enacted for all GNOME components, and that discussion is better suited
for desktop-devel-list.

Matthew Barnes

[1] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentyone