Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution progress for 2.22

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:09 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> >       * make evo realize that it crashed when getting restarted
> >         (mbarnes)
> Hmm, should be a overnight task IMO. But I think the requirements need
> to be frozen first. If you/mbarnes could blow it up on the wiki, it
> would be great.

The mechanism is simple: create a file on startup, delete it on
shutdown.  If the file is there on startup, it means we didn't shutdown
cleanly last time and the various components can be notified of that.

What components do with that information needs to be ironed out.  The
primary use case I had in mind was disabling email preview, or at least
changing the selection to something safe like "On This Computer".  But
the new --disable-preview option put this feature on the backburner.

I'm not sure what, if any, action would be appropriate for Calendar or
other components.  Probably need to look at what kinds of things tend to
cause crashes in those components and how best to avoid them at startup.

With the Composer work I'm trying to get done, I'm not sure I'll have
time to see this through before GNOME 2.22.  If someone else wants to
take it up I'd be happy to assist.

Matthew Barnes