Re: [Evolution-hackers] A plugin for remove attachments.

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:45 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> Evolution used to do this, but some IMAP server products don't parse
> MIME properly and so if you trust their BODY/BODYSTRUCTURE responses,
> you'll end up with a broken message if you later try to piece the parts
> together (you'll note that at one point we had a workaround for Courier
> IMAP until we just decided it was too much effort and just went with
> full body downloads all the time like the other widely used IMAP
> clients).

Interesting. Do you remember which branch supported this? Always
interesting to PEEK at the code of you guys before trying to reimplement
it myself. ;-)

My plan is to detect whether or not the IMAP service will correctly
return me a partial message, and simply refetch the entire message when
a first non-body mime-part is requested by the user.

After that one, I might try an implementation that glues already
retrieved mime-parts together to recreate the original message (to
reduce bandwidth usage).

Anyway, it's a post-januari prioritised item on my to do list.
Nevertheless it's one of the things that are flagged as important (for
tinymail) ;-)

The idea here is that some people receive messages that are > 3 MB (with
MP3's and stuff like that). Viewing the body of such messages should be
possible on a mobile device. Storing the attachment too, but only if the
user really requests it (on the device).

ps. I of course understand that Evolution has/had a different scope
(desktop users with plenty of memory and disk-space). So I agree that it
was the best decision to make (to remove the support for partial
retrieving).

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be