Re: [Evolution-hackers] URGENT: Anyone knows why evolution is using both GNUTLS and NSS as security libraries

В Чтв, 23/03/2006 в 07:10 +0200, Tor Lillqvist пишет:
> ti 2006-03-21 klockan 23:33 +0800 skrev Irene Huang:
>
> > I am confused why GNUTLS is a necesity when NSS is used for security
> > connection?
>
> Isn't it libsoup that uses gnutls? No idea why it doesn't use NSS (I
> assume they offer mostly the same functionality?)
>
> > Can't it be removed?
>
> Hear, hear! Using NSS in libsoup would also be great for Win32
> portability, as I never managed to get the libsoup-over-gnutls working,
> so TLSified GroupWise connections don't work on Win32. (The problem was
> discovered only in December when I visited Bangalore.)

You may also consider the opposite: dropping NSS usage in Evolution in
favor of GnuTLS.
NSPR and NSS are notoriously tough libraries for distribution packaging:
every Gecko-based application insists on bundling them in its own
special version. Also, the license on GnuTLS is more favorable.

I believe NSS is necessary for S/MIME, not TLS.