Re: [Evolution-hackers] How would this work?

Yes. It is indeed possible for you to use the IMAP camel provider to
talk to your custom server. Just have a look at how the GroupWise
provider is implemented.

See camel_provider_module_init () in
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/evolution-data-server/camel/providers/groupwise/camel-groupwise-provider.c?rev=1.33&view=markup

which (when use_imap is TRUE) sets the groupwise camel provider store to
that of imap.

The groupwise-account-setup plugin is also a good working model for you
to base the zimbra account creation on. This has some limitations
currently which will be addressed in near future (and hence likely to
change).

--Harish