[Evolution-hackers] Very good memory and performance results for getting new messages using the mmap patch

I know I made many many changes to the summary implementation and stuff.

However. Some change caused the "Fetching summary information for new
messages in %" to only consume 18MB of ram in stead of 60MB of ram which
the default Camel as shipped on Ubuntu Dapper consumes.

I didn't expect this. The only relevant changes that I did (that are
happening when creating new message-info instances from received
information) where the token strdup and the recently changed malloc
avoidance with the camel_pstring_add in stead of camel_pstring_strdup.

This is what I did (please somebody, reproduce)

killall -9 tinymail ; etc etc
cvs -z3 co evolution-data-server
cd camel
patch -p0 < camel_folder_summary_with_mmap_fixes11.diff
cd ..
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/camel
make && sudo make install
cd ..
svn co https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail
cd tinymail/trunk
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/tinymail
make && sudo make install
cd $HOME
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
rm -rf $HOME/.tinymail/
valgrind --tool=massif /opt/tinymail/bin/tinymail

   -> open a folder of > 14,500 headers

rm -rf $HOME/.tinymail/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/camel/lib
valgrind --tool=massif /opt/tinymail/bin/tinymail

   -> open the SAME folder

evince massif*ps

    -> Rotate left, Rotate left

tar zcvf fixes11_getting_a_large_folder.tar.gz massif*

Also, for some reason that I really don't understand, it took longer
with the Camel that got shipped with Ubuntu Dapper.

pvanhoof lort:~/repos/tinymail/trunk$ dpkg --status libcamel1.2-8 | grep Version
Version: 1.6.1-0ubuntu5
pvanhoof lort:~/repos/tinymail/trunk$

http://pvanhoof.be/files/camel_folder_summary_with_mmap_fixes11.diff

home: me at pvanhoof dot be