Re: [Evolution-hackers] Camel mmap summary ideas, proposal for a meeting

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 20:05 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 13:34 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

[snip]
> > It also seems to me that if we were really going to be serious about
> > using mmap as a real solution (and not just a hack), we'd have to
> > redesign the summary files to group all the string data together to try
> > and keep strings in contiguous pages to keep page swapping to a minimum.
> > The current file layout is terribly inefficient for this.
>
> I very much agree with this. The file format can be much improved
> indeed. Compressing (not in the context of ZIP compressing, but by
> avoiding redundant information) can for example be implemented in such a
> way that the file gets stored without any redundant information.
>
> -- Oh by the way. There's a huge amount of "Re: " strings in my memory
> at this moment. We can probably improve that too ;-) --

Yea, I've been wanting to overlap strings in such a way as to allow "Re:
my subject string" and "my subject string" to re-use the same memory.
Not sure the complexity of this would be worth the (likely very small)
memory savings tho

but at worst, using a single strtab would be nice even if "Re: ..." and
"..." didn't overlap.

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.