Re: [Evolution-hackers] dgettext abuse?

hi stefan,

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 08:35 +0100, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 12:10 +0100, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> > I'll start working on this today. At the moment I'm trying to set up the
> > CVS source tree that compiles properly in a chroot so that Evolution
> > runs on the Xnest server.
>
> I haven't had any success on that so far because evolution-data-server
> complains about some version conflict immediately after startup.

hmm. so you compiled it already successfully? would be interesting to
quote the error message here. :-)

> The point is that I don't want to mess up my production environment and
> I can't get the CVS version to work properly in a chroot. Would you mind
> if I do the the patches on the 2.2 or 2.4 source code?
>
> ATM I run 2.2.3 from Debian testing.

ok, regarding the "do not mess up my production environment" issue,
there are two ways to do this:

there is an "easy way", a script called jhbuild[1]. it should not
interfere with your existing installs and it is /supposed/ to be easy,
but it can also be a struggle (at least it was to me). i was also happy
about some tips at
http://gnomebangalore.org/wiki/index.php/Jhbuild_issues .

"even easier"(TM) would be using GARNOME[2], if you want to test
particular apps/versions or the entire GNOME desktop. it does not use
CVS versions but released tarballs (either stable or unstable), so
building it does not depend on the current state of CVS.
GARNOME is designed to not interfere with your existing installs, so
it's safe for testing. regardless if you build evo by jhbuild or
GARNOME, the deps sure are the same and automatically build by GARNOME.

cheers & good luck,
andre

(thanks to guenther for quotes, like always)

[1] http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html
[2] http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/

--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed!