Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution .desktop file

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 10:23 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> On Wed, September 7, 2005 09:37, Not Zed wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like a design issue with the panel to me.  Why should it
> > hard-code any applications at all?  And if it does hard-code them, then
> > it can hard-code the appropriate one for that gnome version i guess.
>
> Because we want to have default launchers on the panel for the most used
> applications, ie web browser and e-mail client.
>
> And we can't change this at every release cycle since this is the
> configuration for the user: when the user upgrades to GNOME 2.14, his
> nice evolution-2.4 launcher will disappear if we hard-code the version
> in the desktop filename.

Umm, why can't you change it each release cycle?  you've got 6 months to
change the name.  Is that not long enough?  Would you like more time?

> > The version number exists i presume for parallel installs (not that they
> > work anymore).
>
> You could probide two desktop files: one that does not contain any
> version informations and that runs evolution, and other desktop files
> for every versions.
>
> The evolution binary would launch the latest stable evolution that is
> installed.
>
> I think it's really necessary to provide a stable way that does not
> change at each new major version to launch evolution.

Well, I think you're wrong.

--
adfa(evolution-2.4:20087): gtkhtml-WARNING **: cannot find icon:
'stock_insert-url' in gnome