Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution .desktop file

On Wed, September 7, 2005 09:37, Not Zed wrote:

> Sounds like a design issue with the panel to me.  Why should it
> hard-code any applications at all?  And if it does hard-code them, then
> it can hard-code the appropriate one for that gnome version i guess.

Because we want to have default launchers on the panel for the most used
applications, ie web browser and e-mail client.

And we can't change this at every release cycle since this is the
configuration for the user: when the user upgrades to GNOME 2.14, his
nice evolution-2.4 launcher will disappear if we hard-code the version
in the desktop filename.

> The version number exists i presume for parallel installs (not that they
> work anymore).

You could probide two desktop files: one that does not contain any
version informations and that runs evolution, and other desktop files
for every versions.

The evolution binary would launch the latest stable evolution that is
installed.

I think it's really necessary to provide a stable way that does not
change at each new major version to launch evolution.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.