Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Alarm UI

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:19 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2005, at 10:42, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
>
> > - Alarm starts with a tray icon, and has provisions to quit, change
> > configurations. In the configuration gui, the user can select, which
> > calendars, notifications are required. Only for the selected calendars
> > the user will get notifications.
> > http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/preferences_0.png
>
> I'd say this might fall foul of the current HIG guidelines on
> notification icons, although admittedly they're (a) unfinished, and
> (b) a bit crap so far.  I'd view anything that puts an icon in the
> tray all the time, but which isn't constantly animating in response
> to some change (like a network connection, resource monitor or
> battery charge), with a little apprehension.

Calum, i used these icons, since only these were available. Probably, we
can have a different icon altogether to indicate alarms.

> > - No more Popup notifications, if libnotify is installed. When the
> > alarm
> > has to be indicated, a desktop notification would be send, stating the
> > subject, location, time (duration).
> >
> > http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/notification_0.png
>
> Might be nice to retain the Dismiss/Snooze functionality that you
> currently get with alarm popups... not sure exactly what libnotify
> supports here, and I know we don't have any HIG guidelines for this
> sort of thing yet, but I know Ubuntu's update manager notifications
> offer some sort of options.  ("Remind me later" and "Don't tell me
> again", or something.)

When you l-click on the blink you get the same old dialog, which
provides the information with snooze/Dismiss functionality. Probably, we
should add, once libnotify does support for those.

> > - In addition to that, when ever there is a alarm, the tray icon,
> > has a
> > blinking '!' in it and the tool tip stating the Subject, time
> > (duration).
> > http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/tooltip_0.png
>
> Would like to think we could invent something a little more
> imaginative than a blinking "!"... randomly blinking things can be an
> accessibility issue (although I think there are some discussions in
> bugzilla about how to handle various DEMANDS_ATTENTION type-things in
> an accessible way).  Also, "!" tends to suggest "error", to me, at
> least-- it looks more like "I've lost the connection to your
> calendar" than "you have a reminder".

Hmm nice thinking :-). As i said again, we can look at different icons.
For
normal - Existing.
one alarm - Clock with Alarm
multiple  -  A different indication with from the previous one.
> > If there are more than one alarm, it says the number of alarms.

> Hmm, do you have a screenshot of that?  Sounds like it could be a lot
> of information to cram into a small icon.
Hmm, it is the same as of now, the same blink, just the tooltip says
that 'you have %d alarms'. We should replace them with better icons
which is pending.

> Cheeri,
> Calum.

thanks calum for your inputs.