Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Alarm UI

On 10 Oct 2005, at 10:42, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:

- Alarm starts with a tray icon, and has provisions to quit, change
configurations. In the configuration gui, the user can select, which
calendars, notifications are required. Only for the selected calendars
the user will get notifications.
http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/preferences_0.png

I'd say this might fall foul of the current HIG guidelines on notification icons, although admittedly they're (a) unfinished, and (b) a bit crap so far. I'd view anything that puts an icon in the tray all the time, but which isn't constantly animating in response to some change (like a network connection, resource monitor or battery charge), with a little apprehension.

- No more Popup notifications, if libnotify is installed. When the alarm
has to be indicated, a desktop notification would be send, stating the
subject, location, time (duration).

http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/notification_0.png

Might be nice to retain the Dismiss/Snooze functionality that you currently get with alarm popups... not sure exactly what libnotify supports here, and I know we don't have any HIG guidelines for this sort of thing yet, but I know Ubuntu's update manager notifications offer some sort of options. ("Remind me later" and "Don't tell me again", or something.)

- In addition to that, when ever there is a alarm, the tray icon, has a
blinking '!' in it and the tool tip stating the Subject, time
(duration).
http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=system/files&file=/tooltip_0.png

Would like to think we could invent something a little more imaginative than a blinking "!"... randomly blinking things can be an accessibility issue (although I think there are some discussions in bugzilla about how to handle various DEMANDS_ATTENTION type-things in an accessible way). Also, "!" tends to suggest "error", to me, at least-- it looks more like "I've lost the connection to your calendar" than "you have a reminder".

If there are more than one alarm, it says the number of alarms.

Hmm, do you have a screenshot of that? Sounds like it could be a lot of information to cram into a small icon.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team