Re: [Evolution-hackers] What do I do about missing data in the message summary?

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:00 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 21:29 +0530, Parthasarathi Susarla wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > > 3.6.1. The origination date field
> > >
> > >    The origination date field consists of the field name "Date" followed
> > >    by a date-time specification.
> > >
> > > orig-date       =       "Date:" date-time CRLF
> > >
> > >    The origination date specifies the date and time at which the creator
> > >    of the message indicated that the message was complete and ready to
> > >    enter the mail delivery system.
> > >
> > > (yes, I'm aware the following sentences explain that Date is not
> > > necessarily the time in which it enetred the transport system, but it's
> > > the best we have for a "sent" date)
> > Hmm...makes sense. And probably thats the 'closest' we could get to the
> > RFC.
>
> right. some systems might even have some sort of tag for when it
> actually entered the transport system, if there is one - feel free to
> use it instead of the Date header.
>
> For example, Evolution typically uses the date string in a Received
> header to calculate the received date when importing from POP3 (I think)
> since there's no other means to get that info (other than possibly using
> the download time), but IMAP uses the INTERNALDATE tag since that marks
> the date timestamp where the message actually arrived on the IMAP
> server.
Hmm.. But i have noticed on several occasions that the INTERNALDATE
(specially with a lot of spam mails) is really *not* the date the IMAP
server received it. Cos i see the mail having a pretty old time-stamp.
But maybe the server has an issue there.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
partha