Re: [Evolution-hackers] What do I do about missing data in the message summary?

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 21:29 +0530, Parthasarathi Susarla wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > 3.6.1. The origination date field
> >
> >    The origination date field consists of the field name "Date" followed
> >    by a date-time specification.
> >
> > orig-date       =       "Date:" date-time CRLF
> >
> >    The origination date specifies the date and time at which the creator
> >    of the message indicated that the message was complete and ready to
> >    enter the mail delivery system.
> >
> > (yes, I'm aware the following sentences explain that Date is not
> > necessarily the time in which it enetred the transport system, but it's
> > the best we have for a "sent" date)
> Hmm...makes sense. And probably thats the 'closest' we could get to the
> RFC.

right. some systems might even have some sort of tag for when it
actually entered the transport system, if there is one - feel free to
use it instead of the Date header.

For example, Evolution typically uses the date string in a Received
header to calculate the received date when importing from POP3 (I think)
since there's no other means to get that info (other than possibly using
the download time), but IMAP uses the INTERNALDATE tag since that marks
the date timestamp where the message actually arrived on the IMAP
server.

Jeff
--
Jeffrey Stedfast