Re: [Evolution-hackers] When do I update the Camel.FolderSummary?

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:20 +0100, Jules Colding wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:36 +0530, Parthasarathi Susarla wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:45 +0100, Jules Colding wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Reading the comments in the code, it seems that I should only update the
> > > folder summary when explicitly told so by Evolution invoking the
> > > camel_folder_refresh_info() method or, obviously, when I know something
> > > changed server-side.
> > >
> > refresh_info can be called in 3 ways:
> > * either by clicking on Send/Receive button
> > * auto sync (timed sync) based on your settings.
> > * or when you select a folder, the selected folder is refreshed.
> >
> > You could explicitly call call camel_folder_refresh_info() when you want
> > to, ofcourse, that is entirely provider implementation specific. But
> > mostly, its usually done in one of the 3 ways mentioned above
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> Another thing, it is possible to establish a notification mechanism from
> the remote Exchange server, thereby making it possible to make
> refresh_info() a do-nothing method.

> Would that be considered bad practice from an Evolution hackers point of
> view?
Hmm... actually Camel is more of 'polling' kind, And refresh_info
actually does the job for you(of polling the server and syncing up).

As for whether if its a 'bad practice' or not, There is no *neat* way to
actually implement a notification method in Evolution (specifically,
using camel). Although we were planning to do something like that for
the groupwise backend, it never took off, since it required
restructuring to a certain extent.

-partha