Re: [Evolution-hackers] Keyboard navigation broken

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 13:04 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> use Ctrl-Tab, it's not shift-tab.

Actually shift-tab works as per the gnome HIG, but for some reason it's
not working if I run Evo locally.  If I run it over x11 from another
machine shift-tab works.  Need to investigate more.

However, I do think the use of the the arrow keys to move the focus
between controls is broken.  All the Gnome HIG have to say about the
arrow keys is this:

      * Do not use the the Tab key as the means of moving focus between
        controls in a panel application. Use the arrow keys for this
        purpose instead.

While it makes sense for panel apps, I think that normal Gnome apps
should explicitly *not* use the arrow keys to move focus between
controls.  If the control has no use for them they should be disabled.

It's obvious that this behavior was intended for small GUIs like panel
apps, that are likely to have a simple arrangement of controls in a row
or column.  For complex full screen GUIs it's almost never clear which
control the directional keys should move to, and in fact the behavior is
internally inconsistent -  if you start in the search text field and go
"up, up, left", you have to go "right, right, down" to get back rather
than "right, down, down".

Lee