Re: [Evolution-hackers] Marcus Bains Line in calendar

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:45:26 +0100, JP Rosevear <jpr novell com> wrote:
> So I've been playing around with this since last week, very cool.  We
> could definitely take this feature for 2.3/2.4.  Some comments:
>
> -the configuration item should probably be at the bottom of the General
> section just so it doesn't needlessly disrupt the relative layout of the
> other items
> -shouldn't hard code the colors of the line - maybe the ACTIVE color or
> something
> -shouldn't use localtime to determine the time, should use
> icaltime_current_time_with_zone and pass in the configured timezone and
> then convert that to a time_t.
> -the exact time doesn't seem to be shown as in the above link

I've made changes to address all of these comments, except two:

Showing exact time on the line
   This would complicate the code (not much, but some), and I think it
makes things more cluttered, visually, without providing a lot of
extra information.  If I need to know the exact time, I can glance at
the clock.  Usually, all I need to know is the approximate time, which
the Marcus Bains line shows pretty well.

Hard coding colors
  I changed the line in the time bar on the left to use the NORMAL
light_gc (the text uses the fg_gc, and the lines are drawn with the
dark_gc).  This defaults to white, which the original patch had.
  For the line in the day-view, I'm having some difficulty getting a
good color.  I think this line should stand out (which is why I chose
red, originally).  However, there doesn't seem to be a good way to get
a color that stands out against all the other elements in the
day-view.  In general, I think this is a hard problem when themes are
involved.

I could add a color picker to the configuration.  That's probably the
easiest way to make sure it works regardless of theme.

Suggestions?

Ray Jones